Once you've passed your test there are other options to pursue to either support other riders gain road skill or increase your own:
F1rst Test Pass
F1RST membership is attained by taking the advanced test on a motorcycle and achieving a score of 1 in every* category.
* Our Examiners have the discretion to recommend a candidate even if they score a '2' in no more than three categories (however Legality and Slow Manouevring must score a '1')
* Commentary is not part of the motorcycle requirement for a F1RST.
The IAM RoadSmart Masters programme provides true 1-2-1 mentoring support and guidance that will help you to attain the highest standard of civilian riding ability in the country. There are no exemption qualifications to our Masters standard.
Building on your skills as an existing advanced road user, the Masters programme will help to enhance and develop your ability even further in the following areas:
- applying cornering principles
- Assessing, planning and executing safe overtaking manoeuvres
- Recognising opportunities to make safe progress (within the speed limits)
- Improving observation, anticipation and awareness consistent with vehicle speed
- Applying sound judgement of speed and distance
- Delivering a fluent, relevant and continuous commentary
- We recommend that potential motorcycle Masters candidates read the Full Control document first.
Once you and your mentor feel that you are ready, we will offer you a ninety minute test that includes both a theory session and an extended drive or ride. To challenge you the Masters test will be conducted on roads unfamiliar to you, and may therefore involve travelling a fair distance from where you live. You will be scored on a series of criteria and able to achieve either a Pass or a Distinction award.
The programme consists of:
- A personal logbook
- The latest copy of Motorcycle Roadcraft
- An introductory ride
- A dedicated Mentor
- Six sessions or 10-12 hours of mentoring (a top-up package of three additional sessions is available to purchase for those who require more mentoring to become a Master)
The Masters test will be conducted in a location away from your usual driving or riding roads and may involve a journey of up to 100 miles. The Masters test will challenge you to ride on roads that are unfamiliar to you.
Our Masters qualification is valid for FIVE years after which time we will invite you to re-qualify. Upon re-qualifying you will be awarded either a Pass or Distinction and the online Register updated.
As an observer with the IAM you’ll provide 1-2-1 observed rides as part of Group. These generally fall into regular times and patterns to fit in with your other commitments, although we promise to keep you as busy as you wish to be with our associates waiting to start their courses!
Existing observers will tell you that the pleasure and satisfaction of hearing that your latest associate has passed his advanced test is a wonderful feeling and the gratitude and thanks you’ll receive will make you feel ten feet tall!
You'll gain a recognised qualification
Becoming an IAM Observer will also provide you with a recognised skill and qualification for life – all observers will hold an IMI (Institute of the Motor Industry) accredited IAM Local or National Observer qualification. We’ll also fund all the costs associated with gaining this qualification.
Thoroughly rewarding and enjoyable time too
We are looking for that combination of excellent driving and riding skills plus the ability to communicate and encourage associates to develop their own skills in a positive and encouraging environment. We are not keen on criticism or focusing on the negatives. Associates are keen to develop their skills and we want to be with them every step of the way providing support, guidance and encouragement.
Our observers also have the opportunity to participate in regular training and development events and sessions and the IAM also holds a number of circuit based skills days and skills enhancement days at which we will also need observer help and support. You may also be asked to mentor the occasional celebrity or VIP for us.
Every organisation requires a few people to ensure the administration of the organisation works efficiently and does the things it needs to by law. Whilst not a glamorous as being an Observer the roles within the committee are crucial to the Groups aims being achieved.